Tuesday, 19 May 2015 08:33 Written by Thawng Zel Thang ([email protected])
Published in Chin News
18 May 2015 — Hundreds of Chin villagers displaced by conflicts between the Burma Army and Arakan Army have been ordered to return to their homes.
The tactical operations commander of the Burma Army Light Infantry Battalion No. 289 gave the order that the victims should get back to their villages by 23 May, according to the Khumi Media Group.
A villager, who wants to remain anonymous, told the KMG: “We are told to go back home as soon as possible. Of course, we want to go home but we don’t feel safe going home. We didn’t come here just because we wanted to.”
The villager said that they had to start going back to their villages from 18 May according to the order.
A community leader, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: “We are shocked to learn that they have to return home immediately. How are they going to live as we know it is not safe?”
“The authorities must ensure security first and tell villagers to go home with necessary support in place. We don’t know why they gave an order like this while people are very worried and in trouble.”
In a meeting held in Rangoon last week, the Chin Family Political Parties expressed their grave concern over conflict victims stranded in Paletwa Township, Chin State and in Arakan State, indicating that necessary action had to be taken.
Since March this year, there have been skirmishes between soldiers from the Arakan Army and Burma Army in parts of Chin and Arakan States, forcing villagers to flee into hiding.